Have you ever wondered how the life of a professional inventory clerk is? We decided to ask directly to our franchisees and share with you their professional experiences but also any light hearted or intriguing anecdotes. The first ones to answer our questions are Alison & Mark from the No Letting Go Swindon & Cotswolds local branch.
1) Some of our readers may be unsure as to what is involved in your line of work. Shed some light by telling us about a typical day in the life of a professional inventory clerk.
Independently and impartially carrying out a detailed inventory of and reporting on condition and cleanliness of properties primarily in the residential lettings sector before, during and after a tenancy has taken place. A typical day will involve liaising with letting agents / landlords and tenants in order to make this happen!
2) As a professional inventory clerk it is essential that you have an eye for detail; what other skills would you consider essential to do the job well?
Empathy, enthusiasm, resolve, impartiality, flexibility, initiative and resilience!!
3) How might a landlord prepare for an inventory?
Ensure in good decorative order with carpets professionally cleaned and vacuumed, all rubbish/ unwanted items removed, kitchen and bathrooms , flooring and woodwork all professionally cleaned throughout.
4) When moving house, stuff is constantly being shifted about from place to place and it is all too easy to overlook the odd item when packing. You must have come across some oddities during your time as an inventory clerk. What are the five strangest items you have found in a property during check out?
Wardrobe novelty door knob decorations such as soft toys/ hearts etc, a leather whip, , a straw boater hat and recipe cards to name a few!
5) Property is hot business at the minute, often seen as a great investment if managed properly. If you could offer three tips for new landlords wanting to let their properties what would they be?
Maintain it. Have it professionally cleaned and arrange a detailed, impartial and professional inventory make.
6) Landlords and tenants are two of a kind; they can be great, a perfect match but they can also be high maintenance, occasionally apathetic and sometimes complacent. What are the three most typical complaints landlords have in relation to the inventory market?
7) And what about the tenants, do you ever receive any complaints from them if so what are typical complaints and are they always justified?
8) Animal lovers can often be dismayed when moving into rented accommodation as many landlords do not allow pets to be kept within their property. In your experience, what implications and issues does owning a pet have on a property?
9) You must have held the keys to a fair few houses in your time: from the elegant to the beautifully designed to the stunningly decorated. Can you tell us about any interesting houses you’ve come across?
48 room 138 page inventory on an 11 bedroom, 7 bathroom country house with swimming pool, tennis courts, changing rooms, walled garden and stable blocks & outbuildings. A number of large farmhouses all with seemingly single people moving in!!
10) On the No Letting Go website it states: “No Letting Go will provide peace of mind and ensure no horrible surprises”, give us an example of any “horrible surprises” you’ve encountered.
11) There are many routes towards owning your own business, what compelled you to become an inventory franchisee, has it been a wise decision and how much did you know about the world of inventories previously?
General interest in / passion for property. Not sure yet as still early days yet love the work but need it to provide a better income level & no not really!!
12) Would you recommend inventory management as a career for others?
Yes, if you are hard working, adaptable, flexible, self- reliant and personable you’ll do very well.
We’re delighted to announce that one of our franchise owners has recently won gold at the AFA franchisee Annual Awards. By injecting a youthful energy into his business, Dan Procter has built up a strong team who have been impressing their clients with their professional, yet personal property inventory services. Find out what the award [...]READ MORE
If you’re a landlord looking for a trusted letting agent in London, we might be able to help. We understand the importance of leaving your investment in safe hands and work with a wide range of property specialists in London and across the UK. No Letting Go help letting agents and property businesses streamline their [...]READ MORE
Do you own or manage property in the London area? Whether it’s a single rental property or a large portfolio of flats and houses, it helps to have a professional team behind you ensuring things run smoothly. With over 65 UK offices, we offer professional property inventory services throughout London and the surrounding areas. Looking [...]READ MORE
Last year we attended the National Franchise Exhibition in Birmingham, where we spoke to potential franchisees about what we offer. This year, we’re heading to the Northern Franchise Exhibition to share our latest franchise opportunities alongside hundreds of other approved franchise brands. Here’s what to expect from the event and a little more on what [...]READ MORE